Nanomedicine “the application of nanotechnology to health” has been growing exponentially in the last two decades. In this regard, multifunctional nano-scaled materials have been developed for applications in fields such as drug delivery, diagnostics, biosensing and bioengineering. Our group is mainly interested in developing innovative functional nano-scaled systems that can be used both for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. Particularly, given our expertise in Fluorine Chemistry, one of our main objectives is developing innovative fluorinated nanomaterials for application as contrast agents in 19F-MRI. We are also interested in the fundamental understanding of the interaction between nanomaterials and biological matter in the perspective to improve the design of such systems. Moreover, another area of intense research in our group is the study of how selective halogenation of biomolecules (e.g., proteins, peptides, etc.) can change their structure, self-assembly behavior, and function and be then involved or contribute in/to the mechanism and progression of many diseases (e.g., Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc.).
1. Buntara Sanjeeva, K., Pigliacelli, C., Gazzera, L., Dichiarante, V., Baldelli Bombelli, F., Metrangolo, P., Halogen bond-assisted self-assembly of goldnanoparticles in solution and on a planar surface. Nanoscale 2019, 11, 18407.
2. Blesic, M. Dichiarante, V. Milani, R., Linder, M. Metrangolo, P., Evaluating the potential of natural surfactants in the petroleum industry: the case of hydrophobins. Pure Appl. Chem 2018, 90, 305.
3. Berardi, A., Baldelli Bombelli, F., Oral delivery of nanoparticles - let’s not forget about the protein corona. Expert Opin. Drug Deliv. 2019, 16, 563.
4. Pizzi, A., Pigliacelli, C., Bergamaschi, G., Gori, A., Metrangolo, P., Biomimetic engineering of the molecular recognition and self-assembly of peptides and proteins via halogenation. Coord. Chem. Rev. 2020, 411, 213242.
5. Lolicato, F., Joly, L., Martinez-Seara, H., Fragneto, G., Scoppola, E., Baldelli Bombelli, F., Vattulainen, I., Akola, J., Maccarini, M., Nanoparticle–Membrane Interactions: The Role of Temperature and Lipid Charge on Intake/Uptake of Cationic Gold Nanoparticles into Lipid Bilayers. Small 2019, 15, 1.